According to Jesus it’s the second greatest commandment, that is to love our neighbours but for many of us we don’t even know the people who live next door to us. So how can we begin to intentionally live out loving our neighbours?
Here are some ideas, take a look and give some a try, you might be surprised what a difference they make and better still they may create opportunities for you to share the love of God and your own testimony! What are you waiting for? Go on, get up, get out and share the love of Jesus!
- Just go over and say “Hi”. Sometimes we can have great intentions to do this but we get so caught up in our busyness that it just never happens apart from maybe a wave every now and then. I challenge you to STOP and go over to your neighbor(s) and catch up with them
O.k O.k, I understand this may be hard so have a look at some other ideas below to connect with your neighbours.
- Do a Street Sweet Blitz – Buy some cheap sweets, chocolates etc and take to your neighbours. Time Outs, Kit Kats or Tim Tams always work a treat and can be very easy conversation starters
- Take some vegetables to them from your garden, when you do this you will find your street just can’t stop talking.
- Offer to mow your neighbours lawns. We can all get a bit busy sometimes and just a simple offer to mow their lawn while you mow yours can make a big difference in their day.
- Weed their Garden, yep you read right, get your hands dirty and do something that will really make them light up with amazement…better still do it while they are out or when you know they will be away.
- Do a BBQ in the park or at your house and invite them to it. Like it or not, food opens mouths and this is why in Australia, BBQ’s are so good. You might even like to do it at a significant time in the community like Christmas, Easter, Australia day or the like.
- Start up a food parcel collection at some ones house and when you have enough take it to your Adra Shop or local charity.
- Buy some cheap flowers from the florist and take them to your neighbours or better still cut them from your own garden
- Write your neighbours a note sharing how much you appreciate them as neighbours and put it in their box
- Buy a box or Roses (when cheap) and deliver them personally. This is so much fun with children who love giving out things to neighbours
- Offer to clean their car, yep, another dirty job but one that can clean up more than just their car by sharing the love of Jesus.
- Cook and deliver cookies, better still get some sachets of hot drink and deliver them with the cookies.
Just about anything you can think of can be an opportunity for you to connect with your neighbours if you want it. Go on, I encourage you to give some of these a try and spread the love of Jesus in your street.
NOTE: Be sure to include connect cards with any outreach event you may do, this should include the name, address and phone number of you or your church.
For assistance in regards to any of the ideas or for connect card samples contact the SQC Personal Ministries Department by calling (07) 3218 7777 or email email@example.com